Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

February 5, 2010

This old dog learned a new trick


At Christmas, my husband received a gift from his step-mom. He unwrapped it and exclaimed, "A Ray Harryhausen collection! Honey, look, we got a Ray Harryhausen collection! Wow, thank you!"

And I was like, "who?" My sweetest is an educated film guy, so I figured it was some obscure director of strange and dark independent films. So I said, "hey, great!" with a shrug.

Who knew I was TOTALLY missing out?

Well, in my ongoing film education (The Good Man is keeping a list. I'm working through it....) he popped "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" in the ol' DVD player while I was eating lunch one weekend afternoon.

Yeah baby! I figured out just who Ray Harryhausen really is. A master of creating amazing creatures in stop motion animation.

The stumbling roaring Cyclops from the late 1950's is every bit as creepy today. In fact, in a lot of ways, I actually like that better that today's over CGI'd movies.

Wow, so ok, I was intrigued.

At the end of the "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" DVD, there were some special features. One was a bit about when Harryhausen got an Oscar (presented by his best friend, Ray Bradbury. What a pair they must make!) and at the end of Harryhausen's speech, Tom Hanks comes onto the stage to bring on the next award.

He makes the segue by saying, "I know for some people it is Gone with the Wind or Casablanca, but for me, it's all about 'Jason and the Argonauts'"

I looked at The Good Man, "Well we have to watch that next, then."

And so we did. We watched as Jason and his merry band of Argonauts fight a huge bronze statue of Talos come to life and, oh man this part was cool, a whole army of sword wielding skeletons! Skeletons! I *love* skeletons! They clacked and grimaced and fought. Aw damn, how very cool!

Then we watched "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" and I remembered that I saw this movie, most likely on TV, with my big brother back in the day. I remembered the blue Shiva with swords in all the arms. (and let's talk about the very naturally endowed Caroline Munro. Rowr! It's so rare to see an un-surgically enhanced actress anymore.)

And finally, we had to get to the must see film because, well, it's set in San Francisco. This is all part of my SF film education.

"It Came from Beneath The Sea." Yeah baby!

What the movie lacked in dialogue and story (and it lacked A LOT), it more than made up for in great animation.

Oh, that angry squid snapping the top off the Ferry Building and wrapping tentacles around the Golden Gate! Whoa! And that far-reaching tentacle slapping down Market Street, squishing unsuspecting citizens!

Good stuff!

So okay. I'm up to speed on Harryhausen. I watched the Dirty Harry movies. We did the Hitchcocks set in SF (hello Vertigo!).

I'm excited to see what's next in my ongoing edjumacation!


Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.