Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

April 27, 2007

My Karma is Ok Today


I work for a fairly popular global company. It's pretty well known and has managed to impact the way we look at a lot of things. It's wild to me how people associate with the branding of this company.

In fact, my big behemoth of a company is something of a rock star.

In my many years working here, I've seen a LOT of people come by, whole families, mom, dad, kids and the dog, to have their picture taken in front of our corporate headquarters. More times than I can count I've had people ask me of there is a tour they can take. (Of what, I think...people working at their desks?).

Today I was walking back from a meeting, very thoughtful in my head, composing an email I need to send to an executive that needs to be a bit terse, but comes off as not terse. A fine line, I assure you.

I had occasion to walk by the main sign in front of our building and saw three Japanese tourists there taking photos of each other standing next to the sign.

I remembered how when I, hayseed that I am, was in New York and native New Yorkers would stop and ask if I wanted them to take the picture of me standing next to whatever thing I was taking a photo of. I thought it was SO nice and told many of them I no longer believed the bad rap that New Yorkers get for being mean. It was a love fest. And I've told that story to anyone who will listen.

With that in mind, I walked up to the group that was blocking the sidewalk. They turned to look at me, realized I was an employee and got a moment of "she works for the rock star" look in their eyes.

I said, "do you want me to take a picture of all of you?" while pointing and gesturing. The woman looked embarrassed and confused and looked at the man next to her. They exchanged words in their language then looked at the third man. I said again, "I'll take a picture of all of you" and smiled as though that would somehow translate my American English. Then I began feeling bad because they didn't understand me and I'd somehow accosted them on their vacation. I turned to walk away when the third man piped up and said "ok!" and without reservation, handed me his camera.

All grins and giggles the three piled up by the sign. I put down my books and sweater and made sure I had them in frame. I didn't want to mess up this moment. They smiled, I smiled, the shutter went click. I looked at the LCD. It's a nice photo of three friends, so happy to be by the sign of a company they admire, having their photo taken by an employee of the company.

I hope they have a good story to tell when they get home.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Archive