Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

July 3, 2007

Where I come from


Last night I had a chance to attend a concert at a fave local venue. The show was Kenny Chesney and he played the outdoor Shoreline Amphitheater locally.

Kenny's appearance, being a good country boy and all, meant I pulled on my fave pair of Fat Babies and hit the show to sing along with the crowd and Mr. Chesney. (you know him, he's the guy that married Renee Zellweger for like, a minute....)

Being a good New Mexico girl, I'm a pretty good fan of country music. I'm always utterly surprised at how many fans there are out here in the Bay Area. Now, the friend I went with bummed a cigarette off a guy who had come over from Modesto. Ah, Modesto, good farm country, that makes sense. But there are a lot of "city folk" who love them some country music as much as anyone from the outskirts. And that always makes me a little happy. (and yes, I know today's country acts are hardly country anymore...more like rock 'n roll in a straw hat with a Bell Ranch crease)

I saw young kids that I *know* have been raised here in the Bay Area, raised among the people and the concrete and the hustle and bustle and they were singing along word for word to "Back Where I Come From", Chesney's ode to small town livin'.

I smiled. Because I knew these kids, though they loved the song, and sang with gusto, in a lot of ways, couldn't possibly understand.

And it made me thankful, again, for the multi-millionth time about where *I* come from.

Oh, the simple pleasure of knowing a place where a grain elevator and a gas station/Snappy Mart are the only the only things in town (like here or here or here. Kids are homeschooled, folks live in wide open spaces where they run cattle or horses or corn or cotton or whatever comes from the land.

Or knowing how fun it is to dance a two-step on a hardwood floor with a boy you like. Or even a boy you don't like but is a good dancer.

Or cramming the cab of a pickup with as many friends as will fit and riding to the river to have a little fun while the swirling water rushes by.

And knowing what it means to "live simple".

Oh Fair New Mexico, how I miss you......

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.