Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

September 25, 2007

Stress


It's a gas, innit?

I mean, all the magazines tell you that it's bad, bad, bad. Your doctor will say don't have it. You know it's not good. And yet, there it sits, on your chest, choking you in the middle of the night.

And stress brings all its friends to come play, high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, achy joints, chronic back pain, illness, pain, suffering, blight, famine, hoards of locusts.

It's one of those really cool biological things that helped us a ton when being chased by a saber toothed tiger or avoiding trampling from a woolly mammoth. It's what got us through the rough, less industrial, times and into what we have today.

What do we have today?

Made up stress. Adrenaline pumps through my veins giving me that wild "flight or fight" rush. Really, I'm a flight kind of girl. That seems best for all. But nooooo, I have to stay and fight, which stresses me out more...ain't that a fun twist?

And what am I fighting? Words on a piece of paper. I am not making this up.

Everything I am doing today, all these things that stress me out, give me heart palpitations, make me aspirate my own stomach acid in the middle of the night, cause me to lose sleep and be a terrible partner to the man I love more than anything is something that matters only in the four walls of this gray cubicled office where I earn my paycheck. Sure, all this agony and no ecstasy means I continue to get paid and am in line for a measly (and I do mean measly) raise this year. I should be thankful, right?

I'm not.

I’m angry. Perhaps being angry is just an acceptable way to mitigate what I'm really feeling. No wait, what I'm really feeling is anger. For a lot of reasons.

Mainly, I’m tired. Real tired. Perhaps a good night's sleep (which probably won't come for at least another week) might better my outlook. I don't know.

Ok, back to it.

Hope you all are having a much less stressful day.


/rant

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.