Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

September 20, 2007

Walk to the theme song of your life


I was watching the new Tim Gunn show on Bravo this evening. If you don't know who Tim Gunn is, then you haven't been watching Project Runway.

Mr. Gunn is known for his quiet understatement and has become one of heroes, best known for his catch phrase "make it work".

A phrase I've adopted and use liberally at work. To the point my staff is tired of hearing it. I decided if they were going to come into my office multiple times a day with all manner of whining, I'd lob it back.

"My clients won't tell me what the budget is for this project!"

"Make it work"

"The supplier is being unreasonable, we can't get this done by quarter end!"

"Make it work"

"Management hasn't given us any knowledge about this secret squirrel project! I can't support it!"

"Make it work"

They usually give me a dirty look and stomp out.

Anyhoo....while watching an episode of "Tim Gunn's Guide to Style", he took one of his victims to a "lifestyle coach" to help her feel more confident. The theory being if you are more confident you'll dress more confident, I guess.

The lifestyle coach told this meek young lady that she should always "walk to the theme song of your life" and made her walk back and forth around the room. Poor thing couldn't manage a hip swing to save her life, but she did manage to loosen up a bit during the course of the show.

I sat here on my red couch and tried to decide what, exactly, is the theme song of my life. I guess it's never really just one, right? It changes based on what's going on.

Then I remembered earlier today. I walked over to a meeting in another building with the buds to my iPod shuffle jammed deeply into my ears. A bit of music helps me huff it across a quite busy street and get to meetings on time.

I've got a mind blowing change about to occur at work. Mind blowing in a very, very bad way. My boss dropped this incendiary bit of news on Tuesday and I've not recovered.

Discretion being the better part of valor, and god knows who reads blogs these days, I shan't go into details. But suffice to say, it ain't good.

So with my Shuffle set to...er...shuffle, I was walking determinedly and muttering under my breath when the song came on. The song I think is the theme of my life for right now.

The tune is "Headstrong" by Trapt.

Sample lyrics:
"Back off I'll take you on/headstrong to take on anyone/I know that you are wrong and this is not where you belong"

I started walking with strong footfalls. Head up, eyes roving looking for someone who might dare to take me on. I almost punched the air.

Yeah. This will work for today. Without even knowing it I'd "walked my theme song".

Maybe I'll start dressing better too?

What's YOUR theme song?

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.