Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

October 4, 2007

The times, they are a changin'


Just because it's time, almost over due, doesn't mean there isn't some sense of disbelief that an era is over.

According to the ABQjournal, Senator Pete Domenici will announce his retirement later today. He has been Senator for 36 years, just a few years less than my lifetime. Growing up in New Mexico, Domenici's name was always in the news. He went from a "who is that" to a fairly powerful guy on Capitol Hill. I was always happy for a New Mexico guy to make good, make a name, so people knew we had smart folks from New Mexico over there.

I know lately he's fallen out of favor for a variety of misdeeds. I'm not much of a political person, honestly. I can't talk articulately about Domenici's career, the high points, the low points. I'll leave more of that to my friends Avelino at his Live From Silver City blog and of course former Mayor of Albuquerque Jim Baca at his Only in New Mexico blog.

My lament today is how much things in my world seem to be changing. Today we have a lunch to see off one of my best and favorite employees. She's moving on to a great job and we're all really happy for her. It's a big blow to our team. But change must happen.

There are a lot of huge changes going on in my personal life too, most changes for the better, but changes nonetheless.

My "woo woo" teachers would say that's the hallmark of Fall. The days shorten up, the ground goes cold. Circle of life. Death and rebirth. All of that.

Give me time, I'll be philosophical later. For today I'm just sad. Ok, not that I'm all broke up about Domenici leaving office, just the huge change it brings (just skeered as hell that Wilson might get that seat).

I remember my days working at Sandia where we called him "Saint Pete" because he was always able to finagle funds to keep Sandia rolling, despite all the protests to reduce funding to the nuclear labs. How far he's fallen…

Anyhow, I guess it's owing to my sign of Taurus that change is troublesome. I'll follow my family tradition and worry myself sick about it. Then, I'll rebound, get perspective, and be fine.

I'm always fine, eventually.

*sigh*

Well…off to the going away lunch…..

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.