Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

January 13, 2010

A rare bit of clarity from a cluttered mind


Ok, fine. I have New Year's Resolutions. Sure I do. Doesn't everyone?

I won't list 'em out...I'd rather accomplish them and then gloat.

Don't deny me the gloat.

Or, you know, fail miserably in solitude.

Anyhow. Since the first of the month, I've been working on a goal, slowly but surely.

Things are improving.

But I've made a rookie mistake.

Oh yes.

I got on the scale. A lot. I mean several times a day.

You know, there are some people in this world that are already in the groove of their personal health, and they tell me "well I weigh myself once a day and that gives me an idea of how to plan the day."

Yeah. Good fer you.

I am not one of those people. I tend to, uh, well, a bit of OCD.

If once is good then eleventy kabillion is better, right? Right?

I mean once after you pee, after you shower, when you take a sip of water, when you sneeze, after blowing your nose, before dinner, after dinner, in the middle of the night when you are pacing the floor wondering why you are such a nutcase.

Trouble is, if you spend all your time looking at just the numbers and the results (how they fall short of goal), you are missing the most important part of the process.

(This may be why my last boss grew weary of me...she being ALL about the numbers.)

So yesterday, I weighed myself and I was pissed off. I mean, I'd weighed the day before and it was a yay! And then today it was a boo. One day? How can I go from yay to boo in ONE FRAPPING DAY?

Because you can. The body is funny that way. Especially the female body. Today is good, tomorrow is bloat, next day who knows.

So as I was fuming...my mind clicked in and my mouth took over, without my permission.

I shouted at myself:

GET OFF THE SCALE AND GET ON THE TREADMILL!

And I realized that has to be my new philosophy.

No more weighing. Screw that. I need to simply eat a little better and exercise a little more and when I feel good just...you know...allow myself feel good without ruining it.

And when I feel poorly, try to figure out how to feel good again.

And leave that g'damn scale in the closet.

I'm telling you, get off the scale, get on the treadmill has deeper meaning than just my expanding waistline.

It's a new way of life.

How about get off refreshing my Esty page and get on some crafting?

How about get off the internets and get on some writing?

How about get off wishing and get on to doing?

And I've now redlined and revised every single one of my New Year's Resolutions.

Get off the scale, get on the treadmill.

Meaning...Karen, stop dithering and start doing!

And *then* you get to gloat.

I will SO do the superior dance (for those who remember Dana Carvey's character, the Church Lady) when I make all of my 2010 goals.


Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Archive