Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

August 22, 2007

Sure could use, a little good news...today


Been a bit maudlin of late, I admit, my blog reflecting my mood. I'm depressed, no two ways about it, and a variety of culprits are the cause.

So today I thought, after many whinging and moaning posts, I'd try to find something upbeat to write about.

If it doesn't skeeve you out, it's actually good news. Something I knew to be true after my own non-official analysis while visiting the Sun City where my mom, aunt and uncle are current residents.

The old folks? They be getting' *down*.

As reported by the quite respectable New England Journal of Medicine in an article in the Albuquerque Tribune.

"... more than a quarter of those up to age 85 reported having sex in the previous year."

"Sex with a partner in the previous year was reported by 73 percent of people ages 57 to 64; 53 percent of those ages 64 to 75, and 26 percent of people 75 to 85. Of those who were active, most said they did it two to three times a month or more."

Well all right!

Let's overturn that "crusty mean old fart" stereotype and re-imagine our seniors as calm, happy and sporting that "knowing smile".

I think it's great. I really do. I have been impressed by the folks in the community where my mom lives. They are a bunch of vibrant, active people and since exercise is a great social outlet, my mom is in the best shape she's seen in a long time, as are most of the folks who live there. No sitting in a rocking chair whiling away the days, nope. These folks are *living* their twilight years. And I, for one, support it wholeheartedly!

I know that a lot of the folks in that community are dating and yes, having sex. Why not? These are some of the less stressful years of their lives. Kids are raised, no more nine to five, they've paid their dues and are financially set. Why not have a little fun?

I like what one woman who was interviewed had to say, "At age 79, she said, 'I don't ever answer personal questions' about sex. But she added, 'I certainly have a zest for life.'"

Mmmm, zesty!

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.