Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

January 16, 2008

I wanna be supportive, I really do.


Due to gas costs and the mental toll that commute-time driving extracts from me, I've been riding the train a lot recently. Today, for a variety of reasons, I needed to drive, so I took my trusty hoopty out on the road.

And as I cruised along (at, yes, the speed limit) I observed a blue Prius cut me off, then slow down.

As I stifled the curse words and angry gestures (yes, I actually *did* pay attention to that driver's ed course I took and passed), I wondered to myself, quite bluntly, "Why are Prius people always such crappy drivers?"

I know, broad generalizations are never accurate, but go with me on this, for a minute.

So yes, I live in hola-granola, tree-hugging, skunk-kissing Northern California. Which means there are a lot of fans of that little gas sipping automobile. Fundamentally, I have no problem with the Prius. If the financials could bear it out (meaning the premium they charge for that car more than offsets the cost at the pumps) I might even consider one. I can be environmentally conscious, I really can.

Here in the Bay Area, people who drive hybrid vehicles can get a special sticker that allows them to drive in the car pool lane even if there is only one person in the car. So that has definitely helped boost their popularity.

So there are a lot of little Prisuseseses (what exactly IS the plural of Prius?) on the roads out here. There are a lot of other hybrid and electric vehicles too, but today I'm talkin' about the Prius people.

I've checked in with many friends. Their experience matches my own. Something about the Prius drivers is off. Is it bad visibility? Is it the alternate way they have to drive (coasting to build up a charge)? Is it the kind of person who chooses to own one? I don't know, but I've observed some truly crappy driving behind the wheel of these little wonders.

Like a lot of changing lanes rapidly and slowing down. I'll attribute that to the coasting, I guess. A lot of not looking or signaling before changing lanes. Is it hard to see in those things? And a lot of driving real slow in the fast lane.

I haven't observed this as much with other environmental cars, just the Prius.

What's up with that? I mean, when I read the news report that Al Gore's kid was popped by CHP doing 100 in his Prius, I thought "well, there's hope yet!" But perhaps all the drugs had changed his view (…and I can't support that).

I'm all for assisting the environment by using less fossil fuels (this after reading, with horror, about the "milky rain" in Silver City and the Gila) but damnitall! Let's keep it safe out there, ok?

Meanwhile, I'm doing my own part by taking the train as often as possible. Good for the environment, good for my sanity.

Thus ends my rant.

Time for my calmness affirmations…..."breathe in…..breathe out…."



Image via.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.