Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

January 1, 2008

Happy First Day of the New Year


I'll start off the first post of 2008 with what I believe to be a profound quote from an unlikely philosopher.

"The first step in creating the life you desire is stating just what it is you hope to accomplish and be willing to fail miserably in the pursuit of it."

Yeah. I like it. I posted my obligatory resolutions list and have been thinking on them muchly since. The twist (pardon the pun) that Monk puts on it helps me calm down (the part about failing). So ok.

Onward.

Congrats to the team of New Mexicans (Jim Baca's wife Bobbi, included) for putting together a humdinger of a Rose Bowl Parade Float which won the Grand Marshal trophy for creative concept and design (as reported in the ABQJournal)! Go New Mexico! Kicking the pants outta that parade! I did a quick Google but couldn't find a photo online. Hope to see it soon. It makes me proud to be a New Mexican!

Hats off to the Las Cruces pecan farmers who are finally in full swing harvesting this year's crop (as reported in the Las Cruces Sun-News). This is an "on" year for the trees, so they are expecting some 71 million pounds in-shell to be harvested. This is a late harvest due to weather so they are out there hauling tookus to get 'em all in. Hats off to my many friends who are making their living right now. I did my part, ordering way too many chewy pecan pralines from Stahmann's and eating them with an evil cackle. The pecans of New Mexico, second in volume to Georgia but number one in my heart.

And finally, the Iowa caucus is but a few days away and I'm dying to see how our intrepid Governor Bill Richardson fares in the fight. He's working it, really working it hard and I'm curious to see how this all goes. It's just the beginning but sets a tone....just what note remains to be seen.

If for nothing else, Oh Fair New Mexico is in the national spotlight. Salud!

Well, the holiday decorations came down today. The Cute Boy™ and I sadly packed up the tree and ornaments and our rockin' train and put them away. The living room seems so...empty. *sigh*

Time marches on.

As a final farewall, a photo of the train in motion. I adore it.




Photo by Karen Fayeth.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.