Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

August 29, 2008

Bits of paper


Talked my boss into letting me work from home today so I could avail myself to the Social Security office.

See, being an ol' fashioned kind of gal, I'm taking my new husband's name. No, not hyphenated. Just taking his name in place of my given surname.

And that means I gotta talk to the government folks and get their nod.

The place to start is Social Security. Once they make the change, then I can get a new driver's license. With a new driver's license, I can make the changes to banking, credit cards, etc.

So let's go back. It all begins with Social Security. How'd I get a social security number in the first place?

Why, with my birth certificate.

With that, everything else falls into line.

Today, I also took my marriage license to show my new name is valid.

The sum of my identity, who I am to the world, or at least what my name is, how I prove I'm me, comes down to a couple pieces of paper.

One tattered almost forty year old certified birth certificate and one shiny new marriage license.

Paper. Wood pulp. All that I am. Without them, I don't exist in the eyes of my country. Or the world, for that matter.

Can't bank. Can't travel. Can't get into school. Can't work. Can't rent a home. Certainly can't buy a home. Can't buy groceries cuz I can't make money.

Nuttin'

It kind of creeps me out, actually.

Thankfully the SSA lady couldn't have been nicer. The change was made quickly. In about two business days I can get a new driver's license. With my license I can change my name at the bank.

I still get to prove I'm me.

Imagine if you couldn't?

A little mind bending.

Well. Onward, and getting used to signing my new last name. THAT will take some getting used to.

Happy Labor Day weekend to all!

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.