Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

August 4, 2008

Thoughts at less than a week to the "big day"


I promise to get back to regularly scheduled snarkery soon, but I just gotta get through this week.

We are down to less than a week until I get…(holy crap) married.

Here's the thing, I feel pretty calm. It seems like everyone around me (mostly work folks) desperately want me to display full-blown anxiety. Like my freak out would somehow validate them?

Oh, I'm sure that this calm feeling won't last through the weekend. We're down to where the "small stuff" gets sweated. Where you find out if the people you paid a not-insubstantial amount of money will actually step up to the plate.

So far, I've managed not to be a bridezilla. Ok, to be fair, I was *prepared* to lose my shizz on Saturday for my latest dress fitting. The folks just don't seem to be getting it. The seamstress had the audacity to tell me that the top wasn't too large, I was just "not used to wearing a strapless dress".

I informed her, in no uncertain terms, that I would NOT be spending my wedding day tugging at my dress. So they fixed it.

On this past Saturday, I was prepared to take the dress home, but for this weird pucker in the seam at my hips. I said "that needs to be fixed" and the lady helping me said "oh no, you just need to smooth it". I said no, she said smooth. This went on for a while.

After a bit, the owner came over (she hadn't been privy to the no/smooth conversation) and said "hey, it looks like this fits great…oh, except for THAT" and pointed RIGHT at the pucker-in-contention.

Then she ordered her minions to fix it.

Heh.

No need to bridezilla when the owner of the shop (who puts her name on my dress) can do my dirty work!

And that's not the half of it…

Am I worried that the lackadaisical new owners of the reception location will not pull it off? Sure. But there is little I can do about it at this point. We have to, as The Good Man says, "play through".

Will I feel the intensity of the event when, starting Friday, our nearest and dearest start arriving? Sure. Family always ups the ante.

But included in those nearest and dearest are my best friend and my two goddaughters. For how ever worried I could be, I can look into the faces of my two baby girls and smile. Because being with them is what matters. And having my best friend to hold my hand. Oh, and having her help me into my bustier and Spanx.

I already promised her I'd try not to be too sweaty. I'm a real good friend, huh?

I'm not going to jinx myself by saying "oh everything is perfect!!" It can't be.

But The Good Man and me…we'll just play through.

It's the foundation of our relationship.

And at the end of the day, if I end up married to him, then the day was a rousing success. No matter what else happens.

Oh..and cake! That always helps…



Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.