Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

August 7, 2009

Genetics are an odd thing


A couple weeks ago, my best friend came out for a visit. As chronicled in these pages, we had a really nice time.

While out and about at the Japanese Tea Garden, I took quite a few photos. Beautiful trees, swimming Koi, flowing water.

Near the fabulous barrel bridge we stopped, and The Good Man took a photo of my friend and I.

I won't publish it here since I haven't asked permission, but seeing the photo doesn’t actually matter to the discussion.

Here's the point: Later, when I downloaded the photo and took a look at it on my computer screen, I looked at my own visage and was a bit surprised.

You know who I look like?

My father.

Um. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean...as a woman, I think it might not be preferable to, you know, as you age...start to look like your *male* parent.

Growing up, I always favored my mom's side of the family. I have the distinctive pointy chin. I have the body shape. Yeah, ok, so I'd given over to my genetics and was ok looking like my mom.

The first time I noticed I was starting to favor my dad was when viewing the proofs from my wedding photos. There is one photo where I have an expression on my face that is *exactly* my dad. In fact, The Good Man often teases me, "Don't give me the dad look!"

It's a sort of squinty eyed skeptical look, and I'd copied it to perfection. I remember the moment, the photographer was doing something weird, kind of annoying me, and I gave her that vintage dad look and click went the shutter.

Ok, so I own that. I was making the face.

In this recent photo, I wasn't making a face! I was simply standing with my beautiful friend in a beautiful setting smiling at my husband taking a photo.

Something around the eyes, I think. And my nose. But damnit, I look like my dad! Ok, sure, I'm sure the faint whiskers now growing around my chin aren't helping my "I don't want to look like a man" cause, but sheesh!

I even sent it to my sister who confirmed that yes, around the eyes, I'm starting to resemble dear old pops. She said, "have you ever noticed you do that one eyed squinty thing?'

Gah!

It's not that my dad wasn't an attractive person, it's just.....that he was a MAN.

Gah!

Genetics are weird.


Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Archive