Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

September 2, 2009

Still breaking this thing in


Last month, it was complete happiness and joy to celebrate my one year anniversary! Wow, a whole year.

Both of us marveled at how fast a year could fly by, and had great times remembering our wedding day. Truly, the best day of my life.

Just this week, we finally finished up our wedding albums (yay!) and so it goes, into the life of a married couple.

A few weeks ago, The Good Man had occasion to laugh and point at me (this happens fairly often, actually). He said, "You're still not used to having someone around all the time, are you?"

Well. No, actually.

I mean. I was single for a long time.

And for a while, even when I was in a couple, we had such different schedules that I found myself with a lot of alone time on my hands. Which was ok.

Don't misunderstand. I love my husband and miss him with an ache in my chest when he's not nearby.

But...

Look, we all do things we're not proud of. And, well, it's often better to do such things without a witness.

Like, I don't know, eating a dozen donuts, while still wearing your stained nightgown at 3:00 in the afternoon, sitting on the couch watching re-runs of "The Hills" or "Real Housewives" or something.

Or...

Listening to "The Big 80's" radio station, indulging in the strains of "Tainted Love" or "Jump for my Love" or "Love is a Battlefield" without *someone* commenting "oh. my. god. Why are you listening to that?"

Or...

Putting a goopy green mask on your face while painting your toenails and plucking your eyebrows without hearing "Agh!"

Or...

Belting out a show tune, for no reason at all.

Or...

Needing to spend some, erm...time, in the one restroom in the house...without some damn boy standing outside the door making farty noises with his mouth. Cuz that's not funny. And it's rather embarrassing. But it makes him laugh every time so I can't be too mad, because he's adorable when he laughs.

You get my drift.

This marriage thing...it's like breaking in a new pair of shoes that you *know* will be incredibly comfortable, but you gotta wear through the tight spots first.


Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Archive