Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

June 29, 2007

Bittersweet


As mentioned yesterday, my quest for "feel good" stories continues on, unencumbered.

When I read the headline of this ABQjournal article "Recent Widow Gets Back Her Stolen Car", I thought it was right up my alley, and it was, in a way.

But I found a lump in my throat by the end.

Alia Dahl, a very pregnant Alia Dahl, is having a pretty rough month.

Her husband, Joel, stationed in Iraq, was due to be home in about a week. July 9, actually. He would have missed the birth of his son, but he would have been home.

I say "would" because Joel became yet another sad victim of the war on June 23.

The week after the death of her husband, her car was stolen.

Leaving her about a week away from having her labor induced and without her husband, car, or her packed overnight bag to go to the hospital.

I think Alia must be a stronger person than I am, because I'm not quite sure how I would have managed to stay upright and deal with all of that.

But here's the part to feel good about. I'm not the only one who felt this nice lady got a real bad deal.

People starting taking up donations, pitching in, and in 24 hours $18,000 was raised to get Alia a new car.

The police also got pretty tenacious on the search for the lost car.

And you know what? They found it.

So Alia and her mom went to pick it up on Thursday. Alia was in good spirits, happily talking to reporters and answering questions.

When her water broke. She delivered a baby boy. Mom and son are healthy, happy, and they endure.

She even had the strength to make a joke, a joke referencing her husband:

"'Just like his father, he has to be the center of attention,' she said, laughing and holding her abdomen."

*gulp*

Here's to the abundance of everlasting human spirit found in Alia. Here's hoping she can rebuild her life and carry on, for her herself, for her husband, for their son.

Wow.

For some reason this story has really got me by the heart.

My past week has been a flurry of ferocity in the run up to the release of an over-hyped product. I keep feeling like I've lost perspective.

This article, this story, helped, a little.........

Happy Friday to all.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.