Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

June 18, 2007

Ruminations


Going to borrow a page from Natalie over at Petroglyph Paradox and mull over the implications of Father's Day a little bit. Though I'm a day late (and a dollar short), as the old saying goes.

My dad was an odd fellow. Odd in all sorts of ways. My sister who is mother to a couple boys with as yet undiagnosed problems has been forced to read up on the markers for autism. My sister has said that had my father been born in a different time, he probably would have been tapped as a high functioning autistic.

He was smart as hell and obsessive about numbers. He worked hard but had a nasty temper. I chalk up the temper to being of fiery Irish and German descendentcy. His full-blooded Irish mother is the only person I ever knew who could yell at HIM. And boy did she.

He was bitterly type A. He put in a hell of a career at Sandia Labs, was an engineer to the core, and probably was a better man that I ever gave him credit for.

I could talk a lot about all the bad things he did to me personally, or the bad things I saw him do to my siblings and mother. But at the end of the day, there wasn't any sort of physical abuse, no. I don't want to mislead. He never laid a hand on us. He just had a cruel mind and would say hateful things in a fit of fury. And words can hurt too.

So I won't talk about the fact that he was a bitterly mean and insecure man who lashed out at his family because he could.

I also won't raise him up as the model of a father, then join hands and sing the praises of dad.

What's it's taken me most of my life to learn is that he was an incredibly imperfect person. Fraught with fears about boogeymen around every corner and demands for us to be better, he actually did try very hard to run his family.

Out of three kids, we all turned out with our fair share of "issues", but we also turned out to be three decent people, all contributing members of society. In the case of both of my siblings, marriages and kids of their own. So I guess to raise three more or less well adjusted kids, he must have done a few things right, in the end.

And so I'll give him credit for that.

On this Father's Day, some two years after his passing, I didn't exactly miss him. He never liked celebrations of holidays and such. I was sort of relieved that I didn't have to find some meaningless gift and card to send. It's nice to be "off the hook". Instead of mourning my Dad, I spent the day with my partner's Dad who is chock full of his own set of insecurities and missteps, but is a hell of a good man.

And it doesn't pass my notice that he reminds me in many ways of my own father.

But the one thing that the father of my love remembered to do that my own forgot was to love his child unconditionally.

I'll take that as the lesson for Father's Day...and Mother's Day...and every day.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.