Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

June 27, 2007

Why I love New Mexico so much, continues....


As chronicled here in the past weeks, I'm *over* the hype around Paris and prison and the iFrapping phone-that-costs-too-much, and I'm weary of sad news from the world of over-hyped media.

I've been making it a point to look for odd, quirky and feel good stories.

And boy, have I got one today.

Shockingly, it comes to us from my old source of snarkiness, ABQjournal columnist Polly Summar. She's been minding her manners lately and writing some pretty good lifestyle pieces. I give it up for Polly, she's got a good sort of Midwestern sensibility about the quirkiness she encounters in Santa Fe. Go Polly!

Today she brings to us a piece about Forrest "Rusty" Rutherford. Not being from Santa Fe myself, I'd not heard of the so called "Sombrero Man".

It is guys like this that make a town great. San Francisco has it's "Bush Man" (among others), Chicago has Woo-Woo Man, New York has the guitar playing guy in his underbritches. It's the kind of stuff of legendary tourist lore. It's something that can bind people together, make a visitor feel like they are "in on the joke".

Santa Fe has Sombrero Man (among others). Seems that Sombrero Man has been collecting sombreros and related gear and gadgets for several years. He's built up quite a collection and is often seen about town wearing 'em. Sombrero Man has a regular everyday job (but that's boring, please, let's talk about who the man *really* is!), but spends his time and resources donning sombreros and making people smile.

And as I struggle with my own cosmic agony, fighting against my silly office job that is causing me to hover on the edge of utter breakdown, crying out into the dark night that "this is not who I AM! THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS MEANT TO BE!!" I am heartened to see someone "doing it".

Go on Sombrero Man! You wear your stuff with pride! You show the world who you are! Live your dream!

For those in the area, Sombrero Man makes his first "official" appearance of the season at the Fourth of July Pancake Breakfast on the Plaza. If you see him, tell him that a little gal in California thinks he rocks.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.