Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

June 21, 2007

Happy Summer Solstice


It is with melancholy that I greet the longest day of the year.

I know for lots of folks, this is a day of celebration. Like the folks mentioned in the article in today's Las Cruces Sun News.

Beating a drum and greeting the sun actually sounds like a nicer way to spend the day than beating the keyboard and greeting the boss.

You have to know this about me: I love the summer. I mean LOVE. I mean obsessively love and I stingily count the days because I know soon enough it will be again be cold, and dark and I'll leave work at 5:30 in pitch black wearing shoes that cover my liberated feet and *gasp* the socks come out of the drawer.

But today I'll frolic like I'm at Stonehenge because today it's warm, and beautiful. Flip flops adorn my feet. A summer dress swings about my fairly tanned rig. Today I'll enjoy the light and not think about the dark that presses at the edges. In the next months I'll gape at the heat and lament my lack of air conditioning and worry about how my furry cat and less furry man will endure this season's heat.

Today, we rejoice!

(painting by Alison Pebworth, titled "Summer Solstice, Once Removed")

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.