Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

February 27, 2009

Keep it to yourself, sister


The weather outside yesterday was what they call "low cloud cover". Low ceiling, gray clouds, occasional sprinkling rain.

This makes most people think, "brr, cold" and toss on all matter of arctic gear.

This is not true for me. Low cloud cover means the heat is held in and the drizzly rain means humidity.

See, I was brought up in New Mexico and my body has been attuned to be a convection cooled device. Or, more accurately, an evaporative cooled device. I sweat. The dry desert air slurps that up, thus cooling my rig and allowing me to continue on.

I'm attuned to this and it suits me just fine.

When it's warmish and humid, I cannot effectively evaporative cool my hard working human mo-chine.

You can ask anyone who knows me, my internal temp tends to run a little hot anyway. The frosty pawed feline doesn't favor me as a sleeping device because she thinks I'm nice, ok?

So what all this means is, even on a cloudy drizzly day like today, I don't want anything to do with a jacket.

This tends to make the biddies and would-be work moms crazy.

"Aren't you cold!?!" they shriek.

"Where is your jacket?!?!" they demand in harpy voices.

Look, I have a mother. She's a fine, upstanding lady. She taught me to be self-sufficient. If you are cold, put on a jacket. If you aren't cold, don’t. If you are cold and don't put on a jacket, it's your own damn fault.

Mom and I have been in agreement on this for years.

Yesterday, I was wearing a sweater dress with a long sleeved sweater over, tights and knee-high black boots. That is practically Nanook of the North for me, and yet, one of my menopausal coworkers eyed me up and down and screeched "Aren't you cold!?!" because I was sans jacket.

It was close to sixty frapping degrees outside, but it was drizzly, so that must mean everyone should wear an overcoat.

An overcoat? Hell. No. I was hot in what I was wearing!

But if I had said to her, "Hey, you look a little hot, why don't you take some clothes off" I would have been reported to HR.

It's a bizarre up world out there, and I’m but a passenger on this carnival ride.






Image via FreeFoto.com

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.