Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

June 26, 2008

How many of you who sit and judge me…


…have ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?

Sorry Mr. Owens. I don't judge you. Never did. But I'm here to pass a little judgment on your hometown.

On this last road trip through the Golden State, I had occasion to stop off in Bakersfield. As a matter of fact, we needed petrol, and Buck Owen's Blvd. off of Highway 99 seemed as good an exit as any to take.

At the bottom of the freeway ramp, there stood Buck Owen's Crystal Palace. And not much more. We weren't of a mind to visit the palace, tho it was interesting to see. But the gas/food/lodging situation in that area was sketchy to say the least.

It was all just…weird.

I'm a big fan of Buck Owens and think he's about the most talented musician I ever knew, along with a great self-deprecating sense of humor.

I can't help but think his old hometown hasn't quite done him the justice he deserves. The place to go to remember him is a weird neighborhood filled with strange businesses.

Who knows, I may be missing something…

Then again, it is California's Central Valley. A David Lynch movie waiting to happen...



Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.