Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

September 19, 2008

A quiet place to rest


Yesterday at work I had a meeting in a nearby building. I decided to be all eco-friendly and stuff and walk over.

As I toodled along, I was surprised to come across this:





I found it…peculiar.

It's a nice cement bench with detailed Fish and Wildlife stuff about the "creek" that lay there in view of the bench (behind the, uh, chain link fence).

Here's an unobstructed view of the "creek" from a small bridge.

(yes, the quotes around "creek" are on purpose)





Folks, where I come from, we call that an arroyo.

And we don't sit by it and watch the weeds grow. We just don't.

Is this like the LA river, where, to quote Wikipedia: "For most of its length, it flows through a narrow concrete channel?"

Does something that flows through a concrete channel really qualify as a river (or creek)?

I found it strange, on this walk, to find one random bench with a view of…a weed filled arroyo.

Truth really is stranger than fiction.



Photos by Karen Fayeth and her trusty iPhone

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.