Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

March 14, 2008

Take nothing for granted


I'm sure the young man who planned on mugging 83 year old Bernie Garcia thought it was going to be an easy take. A little old lady pumping gas outside a store in Santa Fe.

But the one thing he didn't count on was the lady's tenacity.

As Bernie pumped gas, a whippersnapper leapt out of a car and grabbed at her purse.

From the article:

"With a gas pump nozzle in one hand and her purse in the other, Garcia refused to give in to the male assailant's effort to yank her purse away— this in spite of her being dragged on her side during the struggle."

"What happened next was a tug of war between a man in his 20s and an 83-year-old woman who stands 5 feet 4 and weighs 125 pounds."

"He grabbed my left arm and went for my purse," Garcia recalled. "He started pulling on it, but couldn't get it off me because (the strap) was winded twice around my arm."

She wanted to bop him with the gas nozzle but couldn't manage it so she sprayed gasoline on him instead.

A bystander pulled up as this was happening and yelled at the kid who he ran off, jumped into a car (that had been stolen in EspaƱola earlier that day) and took off.

Police responded quick and the three guys in the car were arrested.

Meanwhile, Ms. Bernie Garcia, my hat is off to you. I don't know if I could have been that clear headed in the same situation.

"It happened so fast, and I just fought, even though I was scared," she said. "I just wanted to slap him in the face."

He deserves at least that.

I always say you gotta watch out for the little ones. Little, but scrappy.

Source: ABQJournal

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.