Oh Fair New Mexico has moved! Click below and update your bookmarks!:

July 29, 2008

My lunch pal


I have a friend at work who, most days, I go to lunch with. Now, when I say "go to lunch" I should probably clarify.

She and I go together to the cafeteria onsite to grab some food that we take back to our respective desks. There at the desks, we eat and work, thus maximizing our time. You'd be surprised how busy noontime can be, seeing as we have main offices two time zones ahead…two o'clock there seems like a nice time for a meeting. Ugh.

My pal has worked here for a while, like me, and she and I are at the same level, reporting to the same manager.

We use the time on our walks to seek advice from each other. We talk over management problems. Or just to complain, because our employer inspires that in most of its employees.

She was raised in Ohio by a Steel Magnolia-of-a-mom straight out of the deep South. So that's given her a certain, uh, colorfulness that is often amusing.

Lunch Pal is having some problems on her team, which means she gets pulled into last minute meetings and closed-door discussions in the office of our boss.

So I end up *waiting* on her until she finishes.

I tried going off for food without her a couple times.

It didn't go over well.

No, I'm expected to WAIT on her to finish so we can walk over together. Who cares how hungry I am? It's all about her.

Let's face it, my friend is really kind of a pain in the ass.

So why am I wasting both bandwidth and pixels on her?

Because she's on vacation this week!

HOW DARE she not be here?

She may be a pain in the ass, but she's my pain in the ass.

Never thought I'd miss her…



Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
All content of Oh Fair New Mexico by Karen Fayeth is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

Archive